Stater Bros has both diced tomatoes and canned beans on sale this week for $0.75 each and my mind went straight to CHILI! So here's my ALMOST vegetarian chili. It's heavy on the tomatoes/beans and light on the ground beef. I can't get away with vegetarian chili, so this is the best I can do.
3-4 cans of beans, drained (most common type is kidney, but today I put in kidney, black and pinto)
2-3 cans diced tomatoes
2 small or 1 large can tomato sauce
1/2 lb. ground beef
2 Tbsp. Chili powder
1/2 tsp. red pepper/cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder (optional)
Crock pot version:
1. Brown the ground beef on the stove top. For me, it took less than 5 minutes, but your stove may vary.
2. Dump everything into your crock pot and stir it together.
3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5.
Stove top version:
1. Brown the ground beef.
2. Dump everything into a large pot and stir together.
3. Cook on medium to medium high heat until boiling.
4. Once boiling, turn the heat to low and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
If you are looking for toppings, cheese is on sale at Stater Bros as well!