Thursday, July 14, 2011

Coupon Failure


I was talking to a friend yesterday and she admitted something to me. She's a coupon failure. She tried to do couponing after talking to me (AKA hearing me wax enthusiastically about it). So she bought newspapers every Sunday morning, clipped them, sorted them, collected them from other locations when she found them and really tried. But it was too much for her and she quit about two months ago. Her final act of couponing was to mail me the ones she had so I could use them (most were expired...)

Well, I had to admit something too. I had been a coupon failure multiple times. Nope, I'm not kidding. Dave & I have been married 6 years and I've tried to do couponing every 6 to 9 months in that time. It wasn't until a year ago that I finally got my act together and did it, thanks to a great deal at the local newspaper. If you figure it that way, then I tried between 7-10 times in 5 years and none of them stuck.

Failure happens. In fact, it happens to everyone. Here's the thing about failure, no matter how many times you do it, if you learn from it, then it's one step closer to success. For my friend, coupon failure this time taught her that the clipping method doesn't work well for her. Will she try again in the future? I can't say but I hope so.

Right now I'm failing pretty miserably at most of my goals. But I learned something about it too. I have learned that if I don't have a very precise schedule (that requires me to get out of the house for at least 5 minutes in the morning) I am not very productive. The more schedule I have, the more gets done and my goals get met. I also have more free time because I'm not "pushing it off til later" and spending more time doing something that should be simple.

So, what have you failed at lately and what did you learn?

Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment